Allianz Globetrotter Insurance
In September 2016 we left on a world tour with the bicycles. We needed a lot. A bicycle, panniers, a new tent, a camera lens and new clothing. So a lot of money. Fortunately, it feels good that you get nice things in return. That feeling was over when Zoe's mother suddenly asked: "What travel insurance do you take for the world trip?". Oops, we hadn't thought about that.
We already had a travel insurance and thought it was suitable. So we looked up the conditions. It turns out that most travel insurances insure a trip for up to three months. Not convenient, because for a world trip you really need something else. In addition, these insurances are less known. There are only a few insurers offering this and the price is much higher than a normal travel insurance.
We didn't see the need for such an insurance, because we were convinced that nothing would happen to us. We are active travelers, both topfit and don't get ill quickly. In retrospect, we are happy that our parents convinced us of our naivety. That is why we opted for the Globetrotter Insurance from Allianz Global Assistance and more than two years later we still thank our parents. Without this insurance our trip would have been different.
This is what we think about the Allianz Globetrotter Insurance:
- (+) Insured up to two years
- The most important of a travel insurance for a world trip is the continuous coverage. With the Globetrotter Insurance you are insured for a maximum of 24 months consecutively. After two years you have to get a new insurance, that is valid for another two years.
- (+) Medical costs
- Medical costs can be high abroad. Especially in countries like the United States or when you go to private hospitals in South America. Because we kept our Dutch health insurance during our world trip, we opted to insure the medical costs.
- (+) Fast service
- During the first year of our trip, we didn't use the travel insurance, which is the desired situation. During the second year we were both bitten by a dog and Zoë suddenly suffered from irregular periods. It turned out to be the beginning of many hospital visits and even the discovery of a tumor. We are very satisfied with the quick answers of the emergency center to our questions and uncertainties. Despite a time difference of six to seven hours with the Netherlands, contact was always possible with the Allianz Global Assistance emergency center.
- (+) Study, internship, voluntary work or world trip
- The Globetrotter Insurance is suitable for more than just a world trip. Even if you are going to study for a long time, do voluntary work, want to work or do an internship abroad.
- (-) Pricey
- For our Globetrotter Insurance of two people for 12 months we pay about € 1,200. That is a lot of money for something you hope you don't need. Nevertheless, an insurance covering 365 days abroad is more expensive than a standard travel insurance with a limit of three months consecutive travel. In our insurance we are also insured luggage, medical costs, legal assistance, and liability. We also opted for "Winter sports and special sports" cover, because we practice various sports during our world trip.
The Allianz Global Assistance Globetrotter Insurance is a fair amount of the travel budget. Yet an accident can happen quickly. You usually don't have those things in own hands. A drunk driver, an aggressive dog or a sick grandmother, all this can happen. In such situations, the costs quickly rise higher than the price of the insurance. As with any insurance; if you can bear the financial risk yourself, an insurance isn't necessary. For many people this will not be the case and then this travel insurance is a smart investment, in our opinion. Thank you to our parents for the tip!